Sunday, October 2, 2011

Update

Although I had announced earlier last month that a final parts list had been compiled for the car, plans have changed.

The idea of running a single Warp 11HV was ruled out after I contacted George of Netgain Motors, and he advised me to stay away if I were to use direct drive. From what I have heard, direct drive delivers no significant advantages over a transmission, especially when using a 50 pound 2 speed tranny. In order to achieve the highest efficiency possible, I will have to use a transmission.

Another factor that helped sway me from the idea of using the 11HV was the implementation of a smaller armature coil, relative to the regular non-HV 11. This was imperative in order to achieve higher RPM's. Unfortunately, with every reaction there is an equal or opposite reaction, and in this case it results in less torque from 0 rpm. 

Based on these findings, I have decided to run a more 'John Metric' style of car, utilizing dual 9" motors, with a small transmission at the end. Hopefully this will supply me with enough power to zoom from 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. My only concern with running dual motors is the increased length, which I hope will fit in the transmission tunnel underneath the car. 

On another note, Netgain is planning to release new revisions to their motor line ups, which means that I may have to wait a little longer than anticipated to receive my motors. 

This weekend I began disassembling my S2000, which was a momentous checkpoint in my build. At first it was easy, removing small things like the air box and hood, however as time progressed, it became more tedious. Nothing hard work and perseverance wont solve! So far, I have removed both radiators, the air conditioning system, air box, battery, exhaust, headers,and the engine cooling system.





The job was going smoothly, until it came time to remove the wheels, at which point I was stumped to find out there was a unique lock nut on each rim.


Only Honda will have this key, so come the business week, I will venture out to purchase a graciously overprice piece of steel the size of a big toe. I am not in much of a hurry to disassemble the car, since I know that there will be unbearably long lead times for my parts, which I hope to soon place an order for.

More to come next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment